Monday, January 16, 2012

Welcome to our New Shop!

This is my little slice of heaven! I know how lucky I am and thank the man above everyday for this building. I have been so tied up in the building of our shop and classroom since August. Just as we were moved in I had to get my act together for the Knit and Stitch show at the RDS in Dublin. The past 4- 5 months have been beyond busy.

So here are a few pictures of our shop/classroom. I have had a few workshops this past autumn and my weekly classes have been meeting here since the beginning of October. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my husband for all the work he put into this project. He and I did all the slabbing, both ceiling and walls as well as the plastering. We removed the bathroom walls that the blocklayers put in incorrectly (they made it way too small) and rebuilt the two walls. The blocklayers also incorrectly measured the exterior door on one side of the building and my DH had to jack up the ceiling and chisel out the lentil above the door and move it up.

We installed the maple laminate click flooring ourselves and contrary to popular folklore it was not that easy. DH also did all the prep work for the plumber. We did all the painting both inside and out and when all was said and done, he made furniture for the shop. All of the bookcases that sit below the windows, the bolts sit in the cases and the fatquarters and half yard cuts sit in the boxes above them .

And then he created my cutting table with big interior shelves for all my rulers and assorted treasures or as he refers to it "junk". The cutting table is on wheels and was custom built for my height.

I am truly blessed, but don't tell him I said that. It could be used against me, we start lambing very soon and I will be repaying him plenty.

Sewwww, let m take you on a tour. The top photo is of the Lakehouse Fabrics corner or the bright corner. The building has 5 windows and has gorgeous views of the surrounding farm land. It is so peaceful and quiet, you feel like you are miles and miles from nowhere.

The second picture is of th opposit corner. I call this the Thimbleberries corner. The wood stove is at this end of the building which is convenient since this is where I seem to spend a good deal of time cutting!


Continuing along, imagine we are spinning around in a circle. This is the kitchen area and next to the kitchen area is the Kansas Troubles wall. I love Kansas Troubles and so do many of my customers. Traditionals are classic and you can collect these fabrics year in and year out and they will always work together.

I have also added Buggy Barn designs to my inventory. These are a trendy traditional fabric, or at least this is how I describe them. Henry Glass Fabrics are excellent quality fabrics and they have fabulous designs. I am carrying more and more of their fabrics.

We have oodles of Jelly Rolls and even some Honeybuns in the 4 tier basket stand by the door. There is a little something for everyone. I keep all the notions, books and patterns spread out around the shop. You will find Eleanor Burns' books as well as books by today's up and coming designers. We recently received Carrie Nelson's new Schnibbles book and it will not disappoint those of you that love working with layer cakes and charm packs.


All the lovely tables in the centre of the room, enough space for up to 10 quilters. The space works extremely well and all of the plugs are in the floor beneath the tables so it is safe and there is not potential for getting tangled in the electric cords. Oh and the bathroom is down in the corner of the room, extremely convenient for those marathon sessions and even more so when it is raining.





So, now you know where I have been for all these months and you can see why I have been missing as usual from blogging.




The views from the windows on the side are good for the soul, I love standing at my cutting table or ironing board and looking out at the views.

There are new classes and workshops listed so take a peak and if anything seems of interest please get in touch.

As always, if you are passing by please don't hesitate to stop in and have a peek at what we have in stock. Right now we have a large selection of fabrics and kits marked down for clearance. Need to make space for all the new lines of fabrics that have been arriving.


Happy sewing!
Anne Marie
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment