Thursday, April 26, 2012

Free Motion Quilting - finally!

First, I made a video that was 5 minutes in length and wasn't too bad as home videos go of moi free motion quilting my hexagon tablerunner.  Sadly we can not upload it, several attempts were made, ethernet cable was purchased and plugged into the box etc. and still no upload to YouTube.  I am so frustrated at this point, so we are going to have to settle for photos until we figure out what the problem is. One of my sons insists we need a better computer, a really expensive super computer!!! Yeah right....

Sew, here is an extra large picture of what I did in the Hexagons!  I free motioned a heart shape in each pie shape wedge. You can see that I was creating the hearts in a sort of figure 8 fashion, meaning I would start in the center of the block and sew in the ditch going up the left side and then sewing in a clockwise direction I created the top of the heart. I would then sew in the ditch back down on the right seam into the center and do the opposite wedge of the previous wedge just sewn. Phew, does that make sense??  I would then clip threads once all the inner wedges had their hearts and start working on the outside, in this case the brown fabric.  The only difference is I keep going around the circle and I don't cross through the center to the opposite side.

How do I do this without a wobble (well their are a few wobbles here and there), PRACTICE!!!  I have spent a great deal of time doodling and drawing shapes and then creating suitable shapes that would be fairly easy to create with thread.  Everyone can do it, you just need to practice and practice some more.

The applique flower was quilted with echo stitching, there are some wobbles on this one but I don't care it still looks lovely and sometimes the wobbles make the piece more charming (If I keep repeating that I will start to believe it).  The quilting done in the cream half hexagons and half triangles have small stippling and that is all there is to it!

Here is another colour option, Helen sent this photo to me and she used Butterscotch and Roses by Fig Tree  Quilts.  Notice that Helen used two colours for her flowers, and her free motion quilting is brilliant.  Free motion quilting is all about practice, practice and more practice. This particular project is perfect for experimenting with quilting. Notice in Helen's piece how she quilted a flower/star shape in the inner hexagon. It is very effective and can be done without drawing the shape onto the fabric.  Just Practice!!!
 If you are interested in learning more about free motion quilting we are holding a class on Sunday 13 May from 10:00am until 5:00 pm. There are a number of spaces still available. 7

Happy sewing!
Anne Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment